Spring is finally here after a particularly long and cold winter, but before you rush off to start on your tan or lounge around at the beach, make sure you check out these scholarships with spring deadlines. These scholarships will help defray some of the college costs and give you hope that spring might just be a new educational beginning.

These 10 scholarships are for everyone and not just for those who possess academic prowess.

1. Holocaust Remembrance Project Essay Contest

This contest is open to all students age 19 and under who meet the following criteria: 1) are currently enrolled as a high school student in grades 9-12 (including home schooled students), or who are high school seniors who may graduate high school any time in 2011, or who are enrolled in a high school equivalency program; and (2) are residents of the United States, Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, or are U.S. citizens living abroad. Students responding to this year’s writing contest should study the Holocaust and then, in an essay of no more than 1,200 words: (a) analyze why it is vital that the remembrance, history and lessons of the Holocaust be passed on to a new generation; and (b) suggest what young people can do to combat and prevent prejudice, discrimination and violence in our world today.

Amount: 10 1st Place winners will be awarded college scholarships from $5,000 to $2,500; 10 2nd-Place winners are awarded $500 cash prizes; 10 3rd-Place winners are awarded $250 cash prizes.

Deadline: April 15, 2011

2. New Threats to Freedom Scholarships

There are two scholarship opportunities offered: Short Form and Long Form Student Contests. Short Form written entries should be between 300 and 500 words. Entrants must identify the video (one of three provided by New Threats of Freedom) that they are referencing. Entries must be published somewhere in the public eye: this can be a blog, a school newspaper, or any other print or online publication. For the Long Form, students must write a compelling counter argument to one of three essays that appear in New Threats to Freedom edited by Adam Bellow (Templeton Press, 2010). Entrants must be enrolled part- or full-time in an undergraduate or graduate degree program at an accredited college or university in the United States or its territories. Entrants who intend to be enrolled by Fall 2011 (e.g. high school seniors or prospective graduate students) will also be considered.

Amount: Short Form-$5000; Long Form-1st-$5000, 2nd-$3000, 3rd-$1000

Deadline: March 31, 2011

3. Marine Technology Society Scholarships

The Marine Technology Society is primarily interested in providing scholarships to students with a current focus (or future interest) in marine technology or marine science that uses technology.  Their ROV Scholarship is open to graduating high school students interested in remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) or underwater work that furthers the use of ROVs. Their MTS Student Scholarship for Graduating High School Seniors is open to high school seniors who have been accepted into a full-time undergraduate program. This is an essay contest requires the applicants to write a 500 word essay addressing the following: your interest in marine technology; how your interest in marine technology relates to your current field of study; how do you plan to use your degree?

Amount: ROV Scholarship-up to $10,000; Student Scholarship-$2000

Deadline: April 15, 2011

4. Stuck at Prom Scholarship Contest

Contest participants must enter as a couple (two individuals). Each couple must attend a high school, home school association or other school-sanctioned prom held in 2011, wearing complete prom attire and/or accessories made using duct tape (“Duct Tape Prom Attire”), and submit their Contest Entry by the contest deadline. Other materials, in addition to duct tape, may be used or incorporated into the design. The prom attire must be an original creation made by the couple. Contest Entries must be submitted online by going to www.stuckatprom.com. Entrants must be 14 years of age or older. You can check out the past winners and finalists at their official website; you can also see all the fabulous duct tape colors and designs available.

Amount: 1st-$5000; 2nd-$3000; 3rd-$2000

Deadline: Begins March 7 and ends June 13, 2011

5. Buick Achievers Scholarship Program

The Buick Achievers Scholarship Program wants to reward those who have succeeded both inside and outside of the classroom, who may not be able to attend college without financial assistance. It’s a reward for what you’ve made of yourself, and the difference you are making for others. If you have the passion to succeed – especially in fields of study important to the automotive and related industries, the Buick Achievers Scholarship Program is looking for you.

Amount: $25,000/year for 100 first-time freshman, renewable up to four
years; $2,000/year for an additional 1,000 incoming students

Deadline: March 31, 2011

6. Cappex “I Don’t Want To Pay For College” Scholarship – Spring

You couldn’t get much easier than this: create a Cappex.com profile and simply apply for this scholarship. It’s as simple as that—and the good news is there are many other available. One profile unlocks them all.

Amount: $1000

Deadline: April 30, 2011

7. ScholarshipExperts.com Essay Scholarships

ScholarshipExperts.com offers two essay scholarship contests: $1000 Superpower Scholarships and All About Education Scholarship. Applicants must be at least 13 years of age or older and either be enrolled or anticipate college enrollment. For the Superpower essay you must submit an online short written response (250 words or less) for the question: “If you were granted a superpower for just one day, what would it be and how would you use it?” For the Education essay you must submit an online short written response (250 words or less) for the question: “Tell us what you think about the following statement: The key to fixing our nation is ‘all about education…‘”

Amount: Superpower-3 winners receive $1000; Education-1 winner receives $3000

Deadline: Superpower-March 31, 2011; Education-April 30, 2011

8. DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) Scholarships

The NSDAR awards multiple scholarships to students showing dedication to the pursuit of degrees in diverse disciplines including history, law, nursing, and education. They offer scholarships to undergraduates and graduates as well. Explore their website for specific requirements and deadlines.

Amount: Varies

Deadline: Several scholarships have deadlines of April 15, 2011

9. 2,000 “No Essay” College Scholarship

This scholarship is offered by CollegeProwler.com. Super easy. Anyone can win. According to their site, times are tough. That’s why they decided to create the easiest possible scholarship to give something back to students. Students can use the money to help cover tuition, housing, meal plans, books, computers, or any education-related expenses.

Amount: $2000

Deadline: March 31, 2011

10. AARP Women’s Scholarships

Scholarships are available to women age 40 and older with moderate to lower incomes and limited financial resources pursuing a technical or vocational education, an associates degree, or a first bachelor’s degree. Priority is given to women who are raising the children of another family member; those in low-paying jobs with no career opportunities and who are missing either a retirement benefit and/or health insurance; and those who have been out of the workforce for more than five years

Amount: Scholarship awards range from $500-$5000, depending on financial need and the cost of the education or training program.

Deadline: March 31, 2011

Spring into your future with these scholarship opportunities and find more at: FastWeb.com, Cappex.com, MeritAid.com and ScholarshipExperts.com. Don’t let lack of funds stop you from pursuing your dream of a higher education.