California governor-elect outlines new education planCalifornia's Governor-elect Jerry Brown recently announced a plan that would help introduce more online college courses throughout the state's postsecondary education system, the University of California at Santa Cruz's student-run newspaper, City on the Hill reports.

Under the new plan, more transfer credits from community college earned would be accepted by University of California and California State University institutions. Officials said that many students are often required to take similar courses at the four-year schools to receive credit for it.

"The introduction of online learning and the use of new technologies should be explored to the fullest, as well as “extended university” programs." Brown said on his website. "Technology can increase educational productivity, expand access to higher learning and reduce costs."

Furthermore, Brown outlined in his "Master Plan" that schools should expand curriculum in the science, teaching, engineering and math fields to include virtual and online programs. He added that partnering with technology companies to help them implement web-based courses could reduce costs.

According to the Pew Research Center, community colleges enroll nearly 44 percent of all U.S. undergraduates.