Cisco Systems and UCCS collaborate on a distance learning programThe University of Colorado at Colorado Springs (UCCS) recently announced that it will be using Cicso Systems to connect with other colleges to offer distance learning courses, the school’s student newspaper, The Scribe, reports.

Officials told the news source that the distance learning program will use Cisco Video Teleconferencing technologies to connect to Otero Junior College and Lamar Community College. Recently, the school completed a pilot curriculum on robotics and EKG reading to students at other institutions using this technology.

The technology makes it possible to engage in real-time, face-to-face communications between instructors at the university and students at other campuses. Officials noted that questions and comments can be answered immediately, rather than with the delay that is found in traditional classroom sessions.

Officials from Cisco added that this technology allows nursing and engineering students to continue their education regardless of distance or location by bridging a gap between facilities that span more than 100 miles.

According to the 2010 Sloan Survey Learning, out of more than 2,500 colleges and universities in the U.S., nearly 5.6 million students were enrolled in at least one web-based course in the fall 2009 semester.